This is just going to be a quick update on what’s going on with me:
1) Leaving my parents and little brother, I’m back in Canada, preparing to attend my first year at the University of Toronto. I can’t say my airplane flight here was pleasant though. I sat down and then later two guys sat beside me on the plane. They used both my arm rests; thus, I had nowhere to place my elbows. It was so uncomfortable that I couldn’t even go sleep. Instead I watched movies all throughout my flight–5 movies, to be exact. Also, whenever I had to go to the washroom, I’d have to moon the guy in my attempt to get out. very embrassing.
2) I’ve accomplished my summer goal. My ninth(?) round of revision is complete! But I’m still not satisfied with these two major chapters. I think I’ll work on them a little during university. Just a little. But I want to have this over with so I can put TRC aside for about six months. Then I’m bringing it out to do one more round of editing before I try querying to agents. Yes, change of plans, I won’t be keeping TRC for another four years. While my intention was to keep TRC and revise it over the next four years, my dad said that I should “try” to get it published, starting this or next year. He said that I’ll always think my story isn’t good enough, I’ll always want to change something, so I need to stop trying to perfect my MS at one point and take the next step.
3) I learned recently that my dad is a published writer. He’s a professor of theology, so he wrote a book about Christianity stuff (sorry, I don’t know the specifics), and got it published last year. But I didn’t know! I wonder if I inherited this passion for writing from my father?
4) I’m looking for a dedicated editor really good with grammar. I already have two editors (Val and Flora) but they mainly focus on the plot, character and historical accuracy. I don’t want to ask them to start again from chapter one and pick at grammatical errors. They’ve already done so much for me.
5) I’m reading the book “Into the Wild” by Jon Krakauer. It is soooo good.
6) I woke up at 6pm today. Not only was this due to my jet lag, but because I stayed up until 5am watching “Queen Margot.” I wish I could say I loved it. But, though the historical backdrop was interesting, and though Vincent Perez (the male protagonist) was gorgeous (!!!) in this movie, it was like a bodice-ripper to me. When I see an undeveloped, lust-oriented love story, I get critical. Has anyone else seen this movie?